- Date:June 14, 2018
My aim for this project was to have a clearly structured process. Looking back at my process I Starting my process with research to build my research proposal. For my research proposal I simultaneously ideated on a probe. I used the research to support design decisions made for my probe. When I started building my probe, I included an expert who could help me improve this probe. I used the insights from this interview for the method of how to use my probe in the tests. This structure really helped me make quick and grounded decisions.
In previous projects I noticed that making decisions in the beginning of the design or research process is a weakness of mine. In this project I learned that related research and experts can support making decisions in the beginning of the process.
I wanted to focus more on the presentation and documentation of my project. I did this by documenting my data in a structured manner, so I could use this in writing my paper. For the testing I wanted to have consent to be able to make video material, which makes documentation and presentation more easy. I experienced that it is a lot harder to find participants if you want to make video material. So in future projects I should introduce the consent forms earlier in the process. I also made high quality pictures of my prototypes in the photo studio to use in my portfolio.
Because I adapted my target group, I had to find new participants which took a lot of time. This led to having less participants, but from this I learned that with 3 participants you can also do qualitative research, but you should approach it differently. I looked at stories of one, which was difficult to apply to my research but I tried to use it in combination with the thematic analysis. This led me to really satisfying insights and themes which correlate with the different dimensions of apathy.
Although I did not have many participants for my tests, I did introduce the probe to a lot of residents in the home. As a designer I really like the inclusion of the user, and in this project I learned that music can really improve social interaction. The music used in this project made it easier to communicate with the different participants with dementia from a moderate to severe stage.
In this research project I learned that I really like using research to support my design. In the future I would like to use research to make design decisions which I can adapt together with the user.