Tools for the Tovertafel
- Date:June 12, 2016
I chose to do my research project about dementia, because I wanted to have a lot of contact with the user. In this squad and this particular project I thought there were a lot of opportunities to come in contact with many users. Also I think Dementia is a very important topic, which is very relevant today and there are many difficult and interesting design possibilities. We all chose to do the research individually. Not only because we had different interests, but also because we wanted to experience how we would handle individual project. In this individual project I really noticed that with a lot more effort, you get less done on your own. This means that you have to plan your time efficiently. From this Research project I learned that you should start contacting users very early in your process. Also you need to have more contacts, so you will have more options. You need to have a lot of room for other plans, because nursing staff have very little time and sometimes need to reschedule and then you must be able to turn elsewhere for testing. A very big challenge for me was to get in contact with people with dementia. First I had to get to know the target group and what dementia was. Because I did not know anything about dementia, I fully experienced how important it is to first get to know your users. The first time doing a research project, it was difficult to get a good specific definition of my research question when starting with such a broad subject as dementia. I learned how a small research with specific measures can make your results more specific and clear. I made choices based on what became my exploration phase. The exploration phase really helped me see what to research, I really needed some information first about what dementia is. Through this exploration I could setup a good research question and hypothesis for my research. In my research approach I found out that your setting does not always stay as planned, you will need to adapt to the abilities of your user. In my case this was when they were not interested in a certain game I needed to use another game. Making a poster for the demoday really gave me an overview of my research process. My main goal of getting in contact with the user certainly succeeded, because I had contact with them every week, but in next projects I also need to take into account that I need enough time between testing session to evaluate and reflect on the last session.