- Date:June 20, 2019
For this project I wanted to experience working at a design company. At the design Company Qwiek, I experienced how they work through a design process. At this company they present every phase of the project, in order to evaluate with the whole team if the project would be succesful. Also, during their work they communicated their work through a SWOT analysis. This communication helps to reflect on your own work and get valuable feedback of the team.
Together with Qwiek I defined my project and decided to continue a project which Qwiek already started. This project focused on supporting the communication between staff, residents and family. Because this project was really broad, the first semester of my project was exploratory and helped me define the problem and possible solutions. In this first semester I defined the stakeholders and did observations and an unstructured interview with an activity coordinator, which is an important stakeholder. Because I found that sharing information about the interest of residents could be very valuable for activity coordinators, I set up an interview with someone from this target group. In this interview I identified problems and opportunities in the communication between staff about the interests of clients. In this project I experienced that talking to only one person from your target group is not enough. In the first semester I jumped to fast to a complete prototype. It would have been better for the process, if I could have tested several small and simple prototypes. Because I of this accelerated process, I had to take step back. I did this by first evaluating the concept 'KennisMaken', after this I started defining the day of an activity coordinator.
To be able to define the day of an activity coordinator, I conducted unstructured telephone interviews and visited the activity coordinator. These visits were planned as introduction days to the day of an activity coordinator. During these introduction days with activity coordinators I got feedback on the prototype, but because of the complexity and the amount of functions, it was hard for them to understand the value.
The insights from the day of an activity coordinator were clustered in themes, with an thematical analysis. Combining this information with the insights from the first semester and experiences as a student assistent, I was able to define the problem.
To evaluate the feasibility of this concept, I used a value flow model to map the value and the costs. This value flow model, shows that the activity coordinator should be targeted.
Because my eventual prototype combined a physical and digital interface, I could challenge my html, css, java, modelling, physical prototyping and electronics skills. During this project I noticed that I am really interested in webdesign, although I still think the interactions of physical products are a lot richer. This also became apparent in my project, when testing the interaction of the different interfaces. The physical buttons gave the user a lot more feedback than the touchscreen. However the options of a touchscreen are much greater.